Friday, March 12, 2004
To clarify, by better browser integration I meant mostly integration with the de.licio.us functionality. For example, here are some of the things I would like to see:
· Access to my shared bookmarks from directly in the favorites menu of IE; and adding to favorites from IE automatically adds to de.licio.us (I’m aware of the bookmarklet)
· When browsing a page, any hyperlinks in the page which are also entries in your friends’ favorites lists would be emphasized with stronger or larger typeface
· When browsing a page, some subtle UI cue would be given for pages that are in your friends’ favorites lists
· When visiting a page that is in your favorites list, you could check a toolbar button to make the page visible to friends only, everyone, or nobody
· When visiting a page which appears in other people’s favorites, provide a way to get at recommendations “your friends who liked this page also liked these other pages”, or “your friends recommend these pages instead of the one you are visiting”
I honestly think the idea becomes much more compelling when you share all page visits, and not just favorites. You can cluster, find people who have similar tastes or even people who have opposite tastes. And the “trace paths” could be much more useful; shrinking font on hyperlinks that are not often clicked, and increasing where people often follow.